- Exercise: Remember that little activity is better than no activity at all. Be physically active and exercise for at least 30 minutes each day.
- Diet: Reduce your intake of salt. Include fresh vegetables, fruit, low-fat dairy products, food low in saturated and trans fat, whole grains and lean meat, fish and poultry.
- Lose weight: Reduce your weight to within a healthy range for your height to prevent obesity and metabolic syndrome.
- Home-monitoring of Blood Pressure: Regularly monitor your blood pressure at home by devices that are easy to use.
- Try to relax each day by meditation or yoga, or perform any activity that will help you relax.
- Quit smoking, if you smoke.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Try not to add too much salt to your cooking and remove the salt shaker from the table.
- Don't stress, it's not good for your body to constantly be exposed to stress hormones.