Gallstones can be diagnosed by following procedures-
- Ultrasonography is the most widely used technique to diagnose the presence of gallstones.
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) gives a clearer visualisation of the gallbladder, as well as the bile duct and pancreatic duct.
Many physicians, may also suggest other investigations like
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Gallbladder radionuclide scan
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiogram (PTCA)
- Other blood tests such as estimation of bilirubin levels, liver function tests and pancreatic enzymes are also done.