What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica is the pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve due to compression of the nerve.
It typically affects only one side of the body.
This pain runs down the back and outside of the thigh, leg and foot is the result of the compression of the sciatic nerve at the base of the spine. Click to read Causes of Sciatica.
Poor posture, muscle strain, pregnancy, obesity, a slipped disc and sciatic nerve inflammation are important causative factors of sciatica.
What Happens In Sciatica?
- Pain at the back of the leg of sudden onset
- Pain radiates through buttock, down the back of thigh and leg to the foot
- The pain could be sharp or dull, shooting or burning, continuous or episodic
- Pain is always worse on bending forward
- Numbness and weakness of the affected part
What can Sciatica Lead to?
- The sciatic nerve which is compressed is called the PINCHED nerve and if present for a long time, leads to chronic muscle weakness.
- Foot drop may also occur in extreme cases.
- Loss of sensations in the affected leg.
- Numbness and weakness of the leg which is affected.
- Loss of bowel and bladder function.
How Well Homeopathy Works In Sciatica
Homeopathic treatment for Sciatica offers very good relief to patients. Because it is a symptom and not a disease, the cause is considered before giving the treatment for sciatica to rectify the complaint.
The pain can vary from person to person depending upon the severity and sensitivity of the patient.
This is where the homeopathic physician understands the peculiarity of each patient and prescribes the individualized remedy for sciatica relief.
Homeopathy has more than 100 remedies in its repertoire in the treatment of Sciatica. Here are a few examples:
- Colocynth: The most important remedy in sciatica, corresponding to the worst cases. There are pains in the sciatic nerve extending the knee or to the heel, worse from any motion, and especially aggravated by cold.
- Rhus toxicodendron: This remedy typifies sciatic with muscular and ligamentous involvement. It is good for chronic sciatica than acute.
- Pulsatilla: This remedy typifies a sciatica due to venous stasis and is useful in the milder forms where there is a sense of fatigue and heaviness , flying attacks, aching in loins and hips.
- Aconite: The congestive variety of sciatica from exposure to colds, dampness and from suppressed perspiration.
- Nux vomica: From its action on the spinal cord, Nux vomica is frequently the remedy in sciatica. It has lightning-like pains, with twitching of the parts.