Allergies are exaggerated or hypersensitive reaction of Immune system to certain substances called allergens.
These substances do not produce allergic reaction in everyone but few people can react in exaggerated manner to them.
For example, many kids relish peanut cookies but a few can develop rashes, wheezing (difficult breathing), itching or even more serious life threatening symptoms on having them.
Both genetics and environment play a significant role in development of Allergies. In allergic reaction, body mistakes harmless substances as dangerous, and over reacts releasing Histamine.
Allergens can enter in any form in your body by inhalation (breathing), food items andcontact.
Allergies can be Seasonal or Perennial. Seasonal allergies happen only at particular time of year. These are common in spring time when pollens from trees or grass are high in air. While in Perennial allergies symptoms occur throughout the year.
Allergies can affect whole body but are more likely to affect certain body parts. These body parts include nose, eyes, skin, lungs (respiratory system) and stomach, intestines (gastrointestinal system).
Certain people with weak immunity and predisposition to Allergies are more likely to get it. Hence it requires a constitutional approach which tackles not only the symptoms but also reduces the chances of allergies. What best can be other than Homeopathy!
Types of Allergies-
- Dust Allergy: This is due to dust mites also known as bed mites. It can trigger Allergic Rhinitis, allergic sinusitis, allergic asthma. Allergic rhinitis is mostly due to dust, pollens and affects the body parts which come into the contact of the air like nose, eyes, lungs. This condition is also known as Hay Fever. Allergic rhinitis can be seasonal or perennial. There is increased mucus production and difficulty in respiration. It is very common in children. Common culprits are dust mites, pollens, smoke. It can also trigger allergic asthma. Cockroach, animal dander (skin flakes), animal or pet hair/ fur/ feather can also trigger allergic reaction. Moulds are fungus which can also cause allergic reaction. Animals like cats or dogs are known to cause severe allergy in some people.
- Food Allergy: Certain foods which are enjoyable to many can trigger allergic reactions in few people. Food allergies are common in kids who can develop them early in life. Common food allergens are peanut, eggs, cow milk, soy products, fish, shellfish (seafood), nuts (pecan, pine nut, walnut, pistachio), cheese, sesame seeds. Many children may overcome with food allergy as they grow up but they may persist for lifetime too.
- Medicinal Allergy: Though, any medicine can trigger allergy in susceptible people but most notorious are aspirin, sulpha drugs, ibuprofen, antibiotics like penicillin and drugs used in cancer treatment.
- Skin Allergy: Skin allergy can be caused by many substances including synthetic fabrics or metals which are in contact with skin. Latex can also cause allergic reaction in some people. Latex is commonly used in gloves used by doctors and in balloons. They can trigger Contact Dermatitis (a reaction of skin on coming with contact to allergen) or Atopic Eczema. Person severely allergic to latex can react even if he has not come into direct physical contact of latex and have just inhaled the airborne particles of it.
- Insect sting allergy: Sting or bite of insect can cause pain, swelling, redness limited to affected area or widespread. Wasps, hornets, bees are common insects whose stings can cause allergies.
- Anaphylaxis: This is very serious and life threatening reaction that can occur in response to certain allergens. It can affect various organs of body at same time and in very severe cases it can cause coma or death. It can start all of a sudden or gradually, but can be fatal without immediate treatment.