Risk factors for hoarsness of voice are:
- Professional Singers, Public speakers, orators, teachers- Overuse or misuse of Voice for short or prolonged duration can lead to Hoarseness of voice.
- Consumption of Alcohol and Smoking: People who consume tobacco or cigarette smoke, who consume alcohol are prone to develop laryngitis as nicotine and alcohol consumption act as irritants to the larynx.
- Occupational Hazards: Prolong exposure to chemicals and toxic fumes are known to irritate the larynx and cause chronic hoarseness.
- Aging: As our body ages, vocal cords tend to lose ability to vibrate, leading to chronic laryngitis.
- Lack of Hygiene: Poor hygienic conditions in children and young adults can be a medium for transmission of viral or bacterial infection of the larynx and the vocal cords.