- General symptoms of Lichen Planus:
- Purplish coloured rashes/lesions/bumps
- Itching at the site of the rash
- Oral lesions can be painful
- Burning sensation
- Thin white lines over the rashes
- Blisters at the site of rashes
- Lichen like appearance (lichen is a plant)
Oral Lichen Planus:
- It involves mouth, gums, tongue, and lips.
- Blue white spots mostly inside the cheeks, gums, and sides of tongue.
- Spider or net like appearance of white lacy lines (Wickham's striae)
- Painful chewing
- Redness, ulceration or erosion of inner surface of mouth
- Dry mouth with metallic taste and burning sensation
- Ridges and grooves on nails
- Irregular longitudinal grooving
- Thinning of nail plate and scar forms with destroyed cuticle
- Atrophy of nail bed
- Red streaks on nails
- Subungal (beneath nails) hyper pigmentation
- Inflammation of hair follicles
- Hair loss/Bald patches
- Scaly itchy papules on scalp
- Tiny red shiny papules around hair follicles
- If genitalia are involved, it may cause difficult and painful intercourse.
- stenosis of urethra causing difficulty in urination, itching at genitalia.
- It causes painless or painful white streaks at genitalia which can be severely embarrassing.
- It can cause stricture at entrance of vagina making intercourse painful. Vagina can bleed easily during sexual contact.
- In males, it can cause lesion at the tip of penis.
- If lichen planus involves food pipe, it may cause pain during swallowing and difficulty in swallowing.
- If it affects eyelids, ear, anus it can cause excoriation and erosion which can be painful.