What should I do if I suffer from sudden, severe backache at home?
If you have sudden backache, please follow the steps given below-
- Rest: Short-term bed rest is required when in severe back pain and muscle spasms. Bed rest for more than 48 hours is rarely recommended.
- Applying ice or heat directly to the area of low back pain can help to decrease inflammation, and ease your discomfort.
- Exercise is important for you with back pain to maintain mobility. Exercise also releases endorphins the body's natural painkillers. Stretching exercises must be done under guidance of healthcare professional.
What are the symptoms of backache that require immediate hospital visit?
Visit your doctor immediately, if you have following "Red flags" symptoms:
- Backache with chest pain
- Being unable to move part of the body.
- Severe backache with weakness, tingling, or numbness in the arms or legs.
- Difficulty in controlling urine.
- Loss of bowel control.
- Backache with fever.
- Chronic back pain that has increased suddenly.Pain wakes you up from sleep.
I have heard it is very important to exercise even if I have backache. Will exercise help relieve the pain? I am reluctant as I am scared that exercise would increase my backache?
Exercise is important for you with back pain to maintain mobility. Exercise also releases endorphins -- the body's natural painkillers. Stretching exercises must be done under guidance of healthcare professional.
Physiotherapy is one of the most widely used forms of treatment adopted for gaining relief from low back pain. Patients are referred for physiotherapy for four weeks as initial conservative treatment before any other treatments including surgery. It decreases back pain, increases function of back.
My father had severe backache suddenly one morning. The pain has reduced a bit but he cannot move about due to pain. The doctor has suggested him surgery? Is it necessary?
Surgery for back pain is very rare, required only in 5 % of cases. It may be an option if there is persistent pain and nerve compression which can lead to muscle weakness. Surgery is only considered if you experience unbearable pain or progressive muscle weakness caused by nerve compression, or difficulty in controlling urine.
"Homeopathic Treatment Trusted by millions all over world which is safe and holistic way to heal from within" Start Homeopathic treatment, to save yourself from surgery!
Does complete bed rest necessary for backache?
Short-term bed rest is required when in severe back pain and muscle spasms. Bed rest for more than 48 hours is rarely recommended as it can reduce your muscle strength. Be active get back to your normal activities as soon as possible. This can avoid your joints to stiffen, your muscles to lose strength and generally cause you to take longer to recover.
My son is only ten years old and complains of backache. I always give him healthy foods and avoid junk foods as much as possible. What is the reason for his backache as he is so young? I am worried and what should I do?
Children and teenagers also suffer from low backache these days due to the number of hours per week they spend in front of the TV or doing computer work. Low levels of physical activity results in decreased muscle endurance.
Low backache in your son can be prevented by:
Physical activity is very important for trunk muscle strength and endurance. Regular activities like walking, running, swimming, dancing can help children to avoid low backache. Also take care; they don't overdo any activity as it increases risk of injuries.
"Homeopathy is a safer form of natural medicine so Homeopathic treatment can be used for newborns, children, when conventional medicines are ill advised" Give your child right treatment at right time!
I am six months pregnant and have mild backache. Is it serious? What can I do to relieve my backache?
Back pain during pregnancy is a common complaint and it's not surprising. Since the ligaments in the body naturally become softer and stretch to prepare for labour. This can put a strain on the joints of lower back and pelvis. There are many ways to relieve it.
Prevention of backache during pregnancy:
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Make sure you get enough rest
- Always bend your knees and keep your back straight when lifting or picking up something from the floor
- Avoid twisting your spine, instead move your feet if you have to turn around
- Wear flat shoes as these allow your weight to be evenly distributed
- Sit with your back straight and well supported.
What can I do to prevent backache?
To prevent upper, middle or low backache you must:
- Warm up and perform stretching exercises before doing your activity.
- If your work requires sitting for long hours, making sure you take frequent breaks to stretch your back.
- Don't twist when you are lifting heavy objects.
- Stop smoking, if you smoke.
- Lose weight by adopting healthy eating if you are obese.
- Stand upright, head facing forward, back straight, and balance your weight evenly on both feet.
- Sit upright with support in the small of back.
- Push things, and do not pull them.
- Wear flat shoes which put less strain on back.
- Sleep on a firm mattress that keeps your spine straight.
What is slipped disc?
Your back bone/spinal column is made up of 26 bones (vertebrae) that are cushioned by discs. These discs protect the bones by absorbing the shocks from daily activities like walking, lifting, and twisting.
Each disc has two parts - a soft, gelatinous inner portion and a tough outer ring. Any type of injury or weakness can cause the inner portion of the disc to protrude through the outer ring. This is known as a slipped or herniated disc. This puts more pressure on the nerves that come out through the discs producing backache.
How will I know if I am at risk of getting backache?
If you are an adult aged between 35 and 55 years, you are more prone to suffer from backache due to the aging process. Today's modern lifestyles with too little or too much exercise, sedentary work life are dominant contributors for backache. You are at risk if you have poor posture, and are genetically predisposed to get back pain, smoke or do repetitive work such as driving or lifting heavy loads. Most of the time the causes of backache is physical, but you should be aware that emotional stress can affect the severity of the pain. Stress causes the back muscles to become tense and painful. Pregnant females, children and teenagers also suffer from backache.
To read in detail, click Back Pain Risk Factors.
On our Welcome Cure- Health Portal, our Patients' health get priority always and that is why we have set up a Panel of Doctors who are very well experienced
How can Homeopathy help reduce backache?
The action of homeopathic remedies is essentially gentle, unlike conventional medicines which possess many side-effects and are palliative. With homeopathic medicines, the frequency, intensity and recurrence of the backache will be reduced by great extent. The working of a homeopathic remedy is like the working of nature itself, relieve the patient from the influence which is hindering the return to health, and induce the healing force to resume its normal healthful reaction.
Symptoms are the language in which the disturbing forces, which we know as diseases, speak to us. Our expert Homeopathic doctor takes into account these symptoms of backache and administers a remedy which will remove the symptoms and thereby relieving your agonizing pain. "Fast, Reliable and Accurate - a Revolutionized Method of Treatment, which will help you to maintain and preserve good quality health". Register for not just good health but wellness!