Your doctor will first ask you about your symptoms, your work and physical activities, past health.
The doctor will be able to diagnose back pain after carrying out a physical examination.
If the doctor suspects the back pain might be due to an underlying cause or injury, or when the pain has persisted for too long, he may recommend following investigations:
- X-rays can be done when arthritis or broken bones are suspected.
- MRI or CT scans- reveals herniated disks or problems with tissue, tendons, nerves, ligaments, blood vessels, muscles and bones.
- Bone scan- used for detecting bone tumors or compression fractures caused by brittle bones (osteoporosis)
- Electromyography or EMG- It can confirm nerve compression which may occur with a herniated disk or spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal).
- Blood test if infection is suspected.