Some of the risk factors for Genital herpes caused by HSV2 are:
- Sexual contact with infected person.
- Cross-infection of type 1 and 2 viruses may occur from oral to genital contact
- Homosexual contact increases the risk of transmission
- It can be transmitted to the hands in healthcare workers during finger-genital contact when they do not use protective gloves during examination.
- Infection in a child by HSV 2 may indicate "child abuse"
- Infection in a newborn due to contact with vaginal secretions at the time of vaginal delivery