There may not be any symptoms of Ovarian Cyst. If the cyst is large it can produce following symptoms:
- Type of pain - pelvic pain (lower abdominal pain) is most common symptom associated with Ovarian Cyst. Pain is stabbing and cramping in nature. Pain can be debilitating and the emotional stress can take a toll on routine life . If the pain is very sharp & severe, it needs attention as it may be due to rupture or torsion of Cyst.
- Site of pain - Pain is common at sides of the pelvis, in the lower back and rectal area, and even down the legs. Gnawing and dragging pain to the legs are also common. Occasionally rectal pain is also present in severe cases.
- Time of Pain - Pain is common before or during menstruation.
- Systemic Complaints: It can cause painful bowel movement. There could be associated abdominal bloating, nausea and vomiting. Frequent urination can also be present.
- Pain during sex: Women with Ovarian Cyst may experience dyspareunia which is painful intercourse.
- Breast tenderness: Breasts may feel heavy and painful.
- Others: There could be severe symptoms like faintness, dizziness, rapid breathing, fever which should be attended by doctor immediately (as this can indicate ruptured cyst). Presence of facial hair, acne, weight gain, infertility may be present in PCOS.