Vitiligo is a disorder where the skin cells which impart color to skin die. The exact causes of Vitiligo are not known though few factors have been seen to be associated, like:
- Autoimmune disease: It is believed that Vitiligo may be an autoimmune disorder, in which the body's immune system attacks its own melanocytes and destroys them.
- Genetics: Vitiligo has been seen to run in families.
- Stress: Stress can cause Vitiligo although no particular link has yet been established.
- Viral infections: Certain viral infections also precede Vitiligo.
- Triggers- Sunburn, stress, chemicals or cosmetics may also cause Vitiligo.