The main cause of Chalazion is obstruction and blockage of oil secreting gland called Meibomian Gland or tarsal gland resulting in accumulation of oil inside the blockage and forming lump or cyst . Dirt, grease or even other conditions can cause blockage resulting in difficulty in drainage of oil secretion which is used in lubrication of eyes. These are leading causes of chalazion. Conditions which can result in blockage are-
- Poor eye hygiene can result in dirt and grease blocking the gland opening
- Styes can lead to Chalazion also vice versa can be true
- Skin infections like Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, acne rosacea, eczema can also cause Chalazion
- Infection of eyelids (blepharitis) can also cause Chalazion
- Rarely skin cancer can cause repeated Chalazion
These are significant causes of chalazion.