- Voice Rest: Acute Laryngitis is usually mild and self-limiting, resting your voice is the best treatment. Giving your voice rest includes not straining when you talk, refraining from yelling, screaming or singing and trying not to talk too loudly. Whispering has to be avoided as it causes the larynx to strain.
Maintaining adequate Hydration :
- Plenty of oral fluids are a must and very essential in order to keep your body hydrated.
- Keep your throat moist by sucking on lozenges which will prevent excess dryness. Lozenges that contain glycerin or honey have been shown to be the most effective.
- Humidifier – The intensity of the disease can be reduced by keeping the environment moist and humid.
- The use of a humidifier promotes moisture in the upper airways and helps to clear secretions in the nasal passages. Taking steam inhalation will also help to relieve the pain in treatment for laryngitis.
- Decongestants, Analgesics and steroids are also often used in treatment for Laryngitis.
- Antibiotics are ineffective in most of the cases of laryngitis as it is mainly a viral infection.
- However, treatment for laryngitis of chronic type would vary depending upon the cause.
- Surgical Care: Surgery is indicated in serious cases, such as throat polyps, abnormal growths or paralyzed vocal cords in treatment for laryngitis.