- STAY CALM and avoid getting tensed or anxious.
- Gently blow your nose and try to remove any clots in the nasal area.
- Use a humidifier at home in order to keep the atmosphere warm in cold weather.
- Protective equipment like masks can be used in order to avoid contact with breathing irritants which can cause Epistaxis.
- Nose bleed is very common if the nasal mucosa is dry leading to crust formation. Use nasal saline spray in your nostrils before bedtime. This will keep the nasal area moist and prevent nosebleed.
- If bleeding persist inspite of primary care, see your doctor immediately.
- Don't PANIC or STRESS.
- Do not pick at your nose or bore at it as it can cause bleeding.
- Avoid swallowing or gulping the blood if it enters the throat; instead spit it out.
- Don't blow your nose forcefully when suffering from cold as it can initiate a bleed.
- Avoid habits like smoking and drinking.
- Avoid self-medicating and be aware of the warning signs..
- Do not neglect an epistaxis if it is mild. Get yourself checked by a health professional.
- Avoid overuse of various drugs like aspirin which have blood thinning properties and are known to precipitate bleeding.