Epistaxis is the most common medical emergency and can have varied presentation from mild to fatal cases depending upon the patient.
However not all cases of epistaxis are considered serious. Most cases are self-limiting and can be taken care of with the following steps in treatment for Epistaxis:
Whenever you experience a nose bleed:
- Sit upright in a comfortable position and slightly bend forward.
- Now pinch your nose with your thumb just below the bony prominence of the nose and hold steady for not less than 10 minutes until the bleeding stops.
- If you feel dizzy or experience fainting, lie down flat on one side.
- Apply a cold compress or ice pack over the nose as this helps in constricting the blood vessels, hence prevents further bleeding. This is quite effective in treatment for Epistaxis.
- Once the bleeding has stopped, avoid blowing your nose forcefully and keep your head higher than your heart level for a few hours.
- With the above steps, bleeding stops on its own. If bleeding continues or increases, contact your nearest medical professional for help.
- However mild the epistaxis may be, it is important to consult a doctor in order to get the cause evaluated and prevent further episodes. These are important steps in treatment for Epistaxis.
Nasal packing: Nasal packing is the placement of an intranasal device that applies constant pressure to the nasal septum. It is of two types – anterior nasal packing; posterior nasal packing.
Nasal packing helps in providing direct pressure in order to arrest the bleeding in treatment for Epistaxis.
Hospital admission may be considered in severe cases of posterior nosebleed and bleeding disorders in treatment for epistaxis.