Food plays a significant role in good and refreshing sleep. Following foods may be of help -
- Intake of tryptophan can be very beneficial for sleep. Tryptophan is required to produce Serotonin, a hormone which is essential for relaxation & sleep. Consume foods rich in tryptophan like low fat dairy products, low fat cheese, banana, yogurt, eggs, whole grains and chickpeas.
- Magnesium is also important for better sleep. Include almonds, green leafy vegetables, seafood, dairy products in your diet.
- Melatonin is also useful for good sleep. Pineapple, bananas, oranges and oats boosts melatonin production.
- Include food rich in Vitamin B6 like fishes (tuna, salmon, mackerel etc), garlic, nuts, pistachio.
- Drinking warm milk before bed time is also helpful.
- High carbohydrate foods like whole wheat grains, whole wheat pasta, oats, brown rice, banana, papaya, oranges, plums, passion fruit, honey are very helpful for good sleep.
- Limit intake of coffee, tea, chocolate, sugar and cola especially in evenings.
- Consume more water but not during late evening.