There are certain complications in unmanaged and extreme cases -
- ODD affects parent-child relationship. Tensed relations can cause severe child parent conflict which can affect negatively on overall growth of child.
- ODD can affect child's school & other work performances.
- In future, as child grows up, he can indulge in antisocial behaviour which can be of serious concern. He may fall prey to Substance abuse.
- ODD can result in Impulse control disorder in children
- Constant criticism from others and life issues due to behavioural problems tear the child emotionally. This can lead to emotional strain and depression. In intense cases, child may try suicide attempts.
- In long term, child may develop Anxiety disorder, Mood Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Learning Disorder, ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder), Depression.