Certain tests are very useful to diagnose Oppositional Defiant Disorder -
- Child's overall health, behaviour, school and sports performances are noted down. A detail history of behaviour of child from both the parents, relatives and even teachers may be required. Complete medical, psychological and past history is also required.
- Physical exam is also done to ascertain any other possible cause behind child’s behaviour.
- In some cases, Neuro-imaging or blood tests may be required.
For diagnosis, there is a criteria specified by American Psychiatric Association, according to which at least four criteria should be present-
- Behavioural problem in kid like anger, irritability, argumentative, defiant behaviour, vindictiveness causing significant problems at work, school & home.
- Should not be a part of any other mental problem
- Should last for at least six months
- Symptoms occurs during interaction with at least one individual who is not a sibling